History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
containing a full account of its early settlement; its
growth, development and resources

 

Surnames found on this page: ANDERSON, ANDREW, BARCLAY, BEARDSLEY, BICE, BLACKMAN, BRAY, BROUGHTON, BROWNING, BUCK, BUELL, CADBY, CALL, CARR, CHELLEW, CORBITT, DICKIE, DONOVAN, DUNSETH, EDEN, EVANS, FISHER, FISK, FLINT, FORD, FORT, FREDERICK, GEE, GRAY, HAMILTON, HAMMOND, HAY, HESS, HILL, HOMBURG, HORRIGAN, HUSSON, INGRAM, JOHNSON, KAMRATH, KIMBALL, KNIGHT, LAING, LALLY, LATHROP, LAUGHERY, LEVI, LIVY, LOPER, LUDINGTON, MALLOY, MANNING, MARCHAND, MATHEWS, MCDONALD, MCDONNELL, MCKENNA, MCLAUGHLIN, MEACH, MORCOM, MOYLE, NEWBERRY, NICHOLSON, NOLT, NORBERRY, NORWAY, OKEEFE, PARENT, PARKER, PARRY, PHELPS, PHILBROOK, PLACE, RAYNER, RICHARD, ROGERS, ROSENHEISIER, RUNDLE, SAMPSON, SAWYER, SCHALLER, SCOTT, SEIBERT, SELDEN, EPHARD, SMITH, SOLACE, SORTOR, SPENCER, STERVEANT, SULLIVAN, TOIUTLOFF, WARNER, WASH, WICKS, WILLIAMS, WRIGHT

 pg. 497

QUINNESEC

Quinnesec is the oldest town on the Menominee Range, and was laid out by John L. BUELL in 1877. Mr. BUELL was a strong believer in the future prosperity of the range, and while it was still a wilderness, came here and cleared a portion of the town site and erected the first buildings, among others the Quinnesec House. For some time after the village was inaugurated, Mr. BUELL was unable to find any one bold enough to cast their fortunes in it, and for a time it looked as if the new town must die alone. But after the valuable qualities of the iron deposits had been established and the advent of the railroad had been promised, the town grew up at once, and was for a long time one of the most successful business points during its life as the terminus of the line. After the mines of the range began to develop and the Line was extended, Quinnesec began to lose some of its resources, and a relax in business Life was the natural result To-day it presents the appearance of a good, solid little business town with limited resources. Though unable to manifest the vigor and Life of its pioneer days, it seems to pursue the even tenor of its way, and carry on a thriving trade. In the event of new iron discoveries, which is almost a foregone conclusion, the village will receive new resources and increase in wealth and population. The town is well laid out; has a good public hall, three church buildings- Swedish Lutheran, Swedish Methodist and Catholic.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

Robert BARCLAY, livery, was born in New Brunswick in 1857. At the age of thirteen, he began working in the lumber business at Menominee, and at the age of twenty-two he began business for himself, in which he continued for eight years; he then went into the Livery business; he has done some exploring for iron ore he is Deputy Sheriff of Menominee County and one Sheriff of Breitung Township, of said county; he is a Freemason; was married to Miss Nellie M. PLACE, of Vermont, in 1879.

James W. BEARDSLEY, meat market, was born Mar 11 1859, and was raised to the carpenter trade and followed that business until July, 1878, when he came to Quinnesec, and started in his present business, first as employee for B. F. NEWBERRY for six months, then for B. F. NEWBERRY & FISK one year, and then for H. O. FISK one year, and then for FISK & CHELLEW; under their employment till November 1, 1881, when he bought out one of their markets and started for himself, which he now runs; he is a Freemason and a member of the order of Good Templars; he was married to Miss Amelia J. GRAY, of Ishpeming, in 1878. They have two children.

Charles F. CARR, printer, was born in New York in 1857; went to Wisconsin at the age of nineteen; then to Madison; then to Escanaba; then to Quinnesec and Norway. in charge of Menominee Range; he is now in charge of Quinnesec Reporter; was married to Miss STERVEANT, of New London, Wis., in 1881.

Henry A. FISK, of Atlantic Dynamite Company, of New York, and of the firm of FISK & CHELLEW, butchers, was born in Green Bay in March, 1857. At the age of twenty-two, he engaged in business for himself, beginning at Quinnesec and Iron Mountain; has since closed the house at Quinnesec, but is running houses in other places; he has been engaged a portion of the time in exploring, and is still exploring in the iron ore interest.

Angelo A. FLINT, purchasing agent for Pennsylvania and Menominee Iron Mining Companies; born in New York State in 1836; received a liberal education, and began business at the age of fourteen with S. WASH & Co., at Whitewater, Wis., six years, then to Slaughter, Wis., with C. M. BLACKMAN & Co., for six years, as clerk; at the end of this time, he became a partner, and was engaged in business there until June, 1880, at which time he came to Quinnesec, in the employ of the Menominee Mining Company, as purchasing agent for their stores at Vulcan, Norway, Quinnesec and Iron Mountain, Mich., and Menominee Range; he was married to Miss Emma R. PARKER, of Stoughton. Wis., on September 18, 1865. They have three children - Earnest P., Hattie and Jessie.

Thomas S. FORT, grocer and fruit dealer, was born in the State of New York in 1834; was engaged on a farm to the age of thirty-five years, when he went to carpentering until 1878, when he broke his leg; then he started in the above business; is Justice of the Peace; is member of the order of Good Templars; belongs to the Methodist Church, is Trustee and Steward.

A. HUSSON, chief engineer for Quinnesec Mines was born in Paris, France, in 1834; came to the United States at the age of twenty-five; located on Lake Superior, engineering for various companies for twelve years, and came to Quinnesec in 1878; he has been prospecting and dealing in mines largely for twenty-five years, and is still interested in exploring; he was married in 1862; his wife was born in France September 27, 1845; they have the following children: Louise, born January 5, 1864; Jennie, born April 18, 1865; August, born October 13, 1867; Adeline, born July 18 1871; Frankie born March 22, 1875; Laurance, born March 25, 1877; Edmond, born November 19, 1880.

William E. McCLINTOCK, general merchant, was born in Pennsylvania, December 23, 1843. At the age of twenty-one, he began the oil business in Pennsylvania, and followed that business until 1872; then went to Escanaba, and worked at book-keeping for one season; then went to Menominee for two years clerking and exploring, and then to Menominee Range until 1880; then clerked for SMITH & LAUGHERY, and in 1881 bought the stock from them and began business for himself; he has located mineral and timber lands.

Donald E. MCDONELL, blacksmith and wagon-maker, was born in Canada in 1859; he came to Quinnesec in 1878, and began the above business; began with his brother in 1879, and bought him out in 1882, and is now doing business on his own book.

Patrick MCKENNA, liquor dealer, was born in Ireland in 1837, and came to the United States in 1862, located in Marinette County, and remained there seventeen years in farming and Liquor business; he came to Quinnesec in 1879, entering upon his present business; he has been engaged in prospecting on a large scale, and has located timber and mineral lands; has speculated in mines and real estate, and is largely interested in mines and mining lands to-day; he built a house on a farm in Marquette County where he spent eight years in farming. He was married to Miss Mary LALLY, of Marquette County, in 1871. They hare six children - Patrick, James, Thomas, John, Jennie and Mary Loretto.

Hugh MCLAUGHLIN, insurance and real estate agent, was born in the town of Brookfield, Waukesha Co., Wis., February 22, 1846; is the fourth son of James and Mary MCLAUGHLIN. who settled there in 1843; received a Liberal education and farmed a few years and then went into the mercantile business in Chicago for a short time; then to Marinette, Wis., in the lumber business, then went to Menominee, and came to Quinnesec in 1877; in 1878, was elected Town Clerk. and held the office of Deputy Sheriff eighteen months; was appointed to the office of Superintendent of the Poor, owns an interest in about one thousand acres of timber and mineral lands; he is a member of the order of Odd Fellows and Freemasons. He was married to Miss Maggie DONOVAN, of Oconto, Wis., November 23, 1878.

James H. MALLOY, railroad agent, was born in Ontario April 7, 1857, and came to the United States at the age of ten years with his parents; began railroad business at the age of seventeen as telegraph operator for a few months; then took railroad agency at Centreville, Mich., in 1874; he worked there for three years, and then came to Quinnesec as railroad and express agent; is Township Treasurer and School Assessor; has some mining interests. He was married to Miss Maria LATHROP, of Lathrop, January 9, 1877. They have two children.

Benjamin MARCHAND, hotel and Liquor dealer, was born in Canada in 1837; came to the United States at the age of twenty-seven, locating in the Lake Superior region, running saloon, mining and contracting in wood; came to Menominee Range in 1878; he has built houses in Norway, Iron Mountain and Quinnesec; he Is interested in real estate in Quinnesec and in Wisconsin. He was married to Miss Adaline NOLT, of Canada, in 1859. They have two children.

Elisha MORCOM, Captain Quinnesec Mine, was born in England in 1835. Came to the United States at the age of nineteen, and began mining; worked in mines, and had charge of mines in different parts of the country, and in different capacities, until 1877, when he took charge of the Quinnesec Mine as Captain for the Menominee Mining Company. He has been Mine Superintendent for the last year. Was elected Supervisor of the town in 1878. Was also elected School Director the same year. He is a Freemason. Was married to Miss Elizabeth Ann WICKS, of Ontonagon.

Pg. 498

Joseph PARRY, store manager for Pennsylvania Iron Mining Company, was born in Minnesota November 26. 1859. At the age of eighteen, he began mining in Rockland, Mich., where he remained two years; then went to Chapin as time keeper for two years; then was clerk in store for two years; then took charge of store at Quinnesec December, 1881, and last July took charge of books. Is a member of the Good Templars.

Joseph SCHALLER, druggist, was born in Wisconsin December 26, 1856. Came to the Lake Superior country in infancy, and received a Liberal education here, and at the age of fifteen years began teaching school in Marquette County. He taught school two terms, and then went into the drug business for five years as clerk in Marquette County, and then went into business for himself in 1876. Came to Quinnesec in 1879 in the same business. Has also a drug store at Iron Mountain. He has been interested in many other operations; has done considerable exploring. He is Postmaster at Quinnesec, and was married to Miss Mary A. CORBITT, of Ishpeming in 1878.

Amos S. SHEPHARD, book-keeper Pennsylvania Iron Mining Company, was born in Iowa County, Wis., May 5, 1861; received a good education, and taught in the Normal School for one year. He worked and prosecuted his studies until 1879, when he began teaching again, and taught one term, and then came to Quinnesec, and took the position of assistant book-keeper for six months, was then promoted to time-keeper for eighteen months, and was then made book keeper. He is a member of the Masonic order and the ancient order of Foresters. He owns a house and lot in Quinnesec.

A. F. WRIGHT, of Wright Brothers, merchants, was born in Pennsylvania in 1845, spent his Life to the age of twenty-one at school and on a farm, and in 1887 came to Marinette, and engaged in general merchandise business, and started at Quinnesec in 1877. He has been interested in exploring for several years, and has located some mines, which the firm are still developing with good prospects. He has an interest in twelve to fifteen hundred acres of mineral and mining lands. They are the agents for the South Addition to town, and handle considerable real estate.

NORWAY.

Along the other towns of the range located along the Line of the Chicago & North-Western Railway, may be mentioned Norway, a bright Little town that has sprung up adjacent to the Norway Mine. It has two good church buildings, several well equipped business houses, and enjoys a good trade for a small town.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

Charles L. ANDERSON, hardware and broker Norway was born in Sweden November 5, 1855; came to the United States in 1864, and located in Hancock, Mich. At the age of twenty-one he began the carriage and blacksmith business Ishpeming, where he remained three years; he came to Norway in 1879, and engaged in his present business; owns some mineral and pine lands: has an interest in Hancock, Brule and other mines; is also Township Treasurer; was married to Miss Ella A. NORBERRY, of Ishpeming, in 1877. They have one child, Leslie Douglas.

Richard BROWNING, office clerk in Norway and Cyclops Mines, was born in Cornwall, England, March 18, 1864; came to the United States in June, 1881, and located at Norway, and engaged in mining three months; then worked as time keeper four months then came into the company's office as clerk, in September, 1882 and took charge of the company's mining books.

William DICKIE, livery and feed stable, was born in New Brunswick in 1840; came to the United States in 1865; located at Saginaw for two years, in the lumber business; then went to Marinette four years; then to Section 33, buying fur from Indians for nine years, and came to Norway in 1880; here he has a livery stable and blacksmith shop; at Iron Mountain, Mich., owns 160 acres on Section 33.

John P. DUNSETH, Deputy Sheriff and Town Marshal of Norway, was born in Ohio in 1850; at the age of fifteen, he went to Colorado and Kansas, and returned to Chicago in 1871, where he remained until 1877, and then came to Norway, as time keeper on the Menominee Range Railroad; was next tie contractor for C. & N. W. R. R.; then Deputy Sheriff; is Health Officer of the town was married to Miss B. L CADBY, of Michigan, in 1878.

James H. GEE, merchant, was born in Ireland in 1849; came to the United States in 1855, and located in Cheboygan, Wis., where he remained until 1865; then went to Milwaukee, then to Green Bay in 1876 for three years, and came to Norway in the spring of 1880 when he engaged in his present business; he is Township Clerk of Norway; was married to Miss Josie HAMILTON, of Green Bay, in 1876

Thomas HAY, Justice of the Peace, was born in New Brunswick September 12, 1825. At the age of twenty-one, he began lumbering, which he followed until 1864, when he came to Escanaba, where he remained as carpenter four years with the C. & N. W. R. R.; he came to the Range in 1879, and kept hotel two years; then began railroad contracting and various other business, is Justice of the Peace and Drain Commissioner for the Town of Norway.

Frank M. HESS, M. D., was born in Pennsylvania February 28, 1848. At the age of sixteen, he began as clerk for a short time; then went to school two years, and then came West, and went with Hon. S. W. HILL, exploring in copper interest for five years on Isle Royale; at the end of this time, he began the study of medicine with Dr. William SOLACE; studied for three years; then entered college and received a diploma in the spring of 1879 and 1880, and then went back to Calumet, and practiced one year; then he came to Iron Mountain, Mich., where he took charge of the Chapin Mine until October. 1881, and then came to Norway, and took charge of the Norway Mine, as attending physician.

Robert JOHNSON, furniture and undertaker, was born in Sweden in 1841, and came to the United States in 1864; he located in Marquette, and came to Norway in 1879; he was married to Miss PAULIna M. HOMBURG, of Marquette, in 1875.

Levi J. KIMBALL, M. D., was born in Livingston County, N. Y., in 1840; received a liberal education at common school; then attended a select school for two years; then taught school six years, during which time he was studying medicine; then attended medical college at Detroit one term; then six months at Ann Arbor, Mich., and six months at Detroit, graduating in the spring of 1879, at which time he came to Lake Superior to practice, and took charge of Spurr Mine for four years; came to Norway in September, 1879, where he established a drug store and went into the practice of medicine; was assistant doctor to the mine at Norway six months, he is interested in Indian, Hecla, Illinois, Maryland and St. Louis Mines; has interest in mineral and farming lands, is a member of Freemason and Odd Fellow societies.

James B. KNIGHT, explorer, was born in Wisconsin March 19, 1850. At the age of eleven years, he began blacksmithing and continued until seventeen years of age, and then began mining in the copper regions and continued in the business in connection with the mercantile business to this time. Came to Norway in September, 1878, and remained four years in the employ of the Menominee Manufacturing Company as chief clerk and cashier. His wife died August 8, 1882. Is Justice of the Peace, Notary Public and School Assessor; also agent for life insurance company. Is a member of the Odd Fellows, and belongs to the Temple of Honor.

A. LEVI, clothing and gents' furnishing goods, was born in England in 1850. He came to the United States in 1879; Moved in New York two years; then went to Norway and entered his present business. He was married to Miss Cinda LIVY, of Europe, in 1874.

James NICHOLSON, Liquor dealer, was born in Ireland March 25, 1841. Came to the United States at the age of nine, and located in the State of New York eight years. At the age of seventeen, he began running a canalboat on the Erie Canal and Hudson River which he followed for seventeen years; he went to Fond du Lac, Wis. in 1873, and began the wholesale whisky business, in which he continued seven years. Came to Norway in 1880 and started a saloon; he is also running a drug store in Norway, and is interested in exploring and developing mines; he has large interests in mineral and timber lands.

Ambrose PHELPS, confectioner and baker, was born in New York in 1832. Was engaged in the iron business to the age of forty-five, when he went into business for himself. He is a member of the Mechanics' League, of New York. Went to California in 1861; was engaged in California in mining, and carried the mail from La Font to Gibsonville; one season made a trip to Washington Territory with a pack train of mules.

David ROSENHEISIER, clerk, was born in Germany in 1856. He came to the United States in 1869; located in Washington County, and was in the mercantile and grain business for ten years; he spent one year in Milwaukee, and came to Norway in 1881. Was married July 25, 1881. Is interested in real estate in the Felch Mountains.

John D. SAMPSON, railroad and express agent, was born in St. Thomas, Ontario, October 31, 1834. At the age of fifteen, went to learn telegraphy at Houghton; then went to Baraga as operator for one year; was then at Winthrop and Clarksburg as operator, then at Houghton at school; then went to Negaunee as assistant operator; afterward went to L'Anse and was all over the copper and iron regions of Michigan, in all capacities, until May, 1880, when he came to Norway and took his present position.

Miss Eliza SCOTT, dressmaker and milliner, was born in Manchester, England, in 1854. Came to the United States when an infant. When she attained the age of four years, her mother died, and when fourteen years of age, her father died, and she was adopted by friends (farmers), with whom she learned all kinds of works and was allowed the privileges of a country school. At the age of sixteen, she came to Wisconsin and remained with her brother, engaged in dressmaking. She then came to Lake Superior, and remained in Ishpeming engaged in sewing for two years. She

pg. 499

then came to Escanaba, and remained a short time; then to Green Bay, attending school, from here to Ishpeming, and remained two years; and then to Norway in 1879, and began dressmaking, and soon after took charge of a store, where she is still in business.

James E. SORTOR, photographer, was born in Kalamazoo, Mich, in 1854; went to Illinois in infancy, where he remained to the age of nineteen, at which time he went to Escanaba, Mich., in the photograph business two and one half years; he was with the C. & N. W. R. R. one year; then went to Detroit on railroad photography for four years, and came to Norway in 1880. He is a member of the order of Freemasons. He was married to Miss Alice A. FORD, of Detroit, Mich., in 1880. They have one child.

Frank TOIUTLOFF, Liquor dealer, was born October 15, 1839. At the age of fourteen, he began clerking in general store in L'Orignal, Canada, and remained there twenty-four years; then went into the retail liquor business at Buckingham Landing for nine years; then to Cumberland, in hotel and groceries three years; then to East Templeton; city of Ottawa, in a saloon one year, then to East Templeton, in hotel seven years; then to Norway, in his present business.

HERMANSVILLE

Hermansville is a small station of the line, rapidly building up and doing a good business. It has a population of about five hundred.

Wanceedah, a station on the Chicago & North-Western Railway Branch from Powers, a short distance from the village of Quinnesec, has a population of about two hundred, well represented in business; also has quite a number of charcoal kilos.

IRON MOUNTAIN

The laying out and building of the town of Iron Mountain followed the discovery, and development of the far famed Chapin Mine. The site nestles at the foot of surrounding hills that attain quite an elevation. The immediate vicinity presents some beautiful scenery and abounds in rich deposits of valuable iron ore.

In the summer of 1880, mining operations were commenced at the Chapin Mine, yet little was done until the season opened in 1881, when the value of the deposit was fully established, and the town sprang up as if the ground had been touched by a magic wand.

Its resources are found in its greet mineral wealth, and the complement of business seen here is the same that is found in the many Little mining towns of the Menominee Range.

It has an estimated population of 4,000, and the monthly disbursements of the several mines amount to $70,000. The Swedish Lutheran and Methodist Episcopal Churches have just effected organizations here, and erected neat frame church buildings. Iron Mountain is reached by the Menominee River Railroad, which furnishes shipping facilities for its mines to Escanaba and an outlet to all points. BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

William S. ANDREW, of Andrew Brothers, clothiere and furnishers, was born in Cornwall, England. March 22, 1842; came to United States in 1805; stopped a short time in New Jersey; then went to Houghton and remained two years; then he went to Ishpeming, where he lived fourteen years, engaged in mining and other business. He came to Iron Mountain in 1882, and established his present business, in connection with his brother, Elisha ANDREW; he was married to Miss Fannie EDEN, of Mineral Point, Wis., in 1868.

William BICE, Captain of the LUDINGTON Mine, was born in England in 1833; came to the United States in 1854 and went to the Lake Superior district, to Ontonogan County, and engaged in mining; worked at the different mines in different parts of this county until 1881, when he took charge of the Hewett Mine and took charge of the LUDINGTON Mine in 1882. He has done a amount of prospecting, and made some rich discoveries. He was one of the first settlers of Iron Mountain; is a member of the order of Odd Fellows. He was married to Miss Emma MATHEWS, of the Cliff Mine, September 5, 1866. Made a member of the Odd Fellows in the year 1858.

William P. BRAY, Captain of the Hewett Mine, was born in England in 1842. He came to the United States at the age of twelve, and located in Vermont. He worked in the Eastern and Northern States few years; then went to South Carolina and North Carolina for a few years, working in the mines, and then returned to Lake Superior in 1861. He was in Houghton and Ontonagon Counties, and then went back to South Carolina in the fall of 1865; then worked in Illinois for three years; in Missouri several years, and then in Duluth one or two years in Ontonagon four years. He then came to Marquette County, and went from there to Iron Mountain, Mich., in 1881. He has done some exploring, and made some good finds, one of which is the Hewett Mine, of Iron Mountain.

Charles A. BROUGHTON, book-keeper for Chapin Mine, was born October 14, 1853, at Fort Ann, N. Y. Remained with his parents until sixteen years of age, when he went to Wisconsin for three years; then returned to New York, and served four years as Deputy Revenue Collector, went to Saratoga, and remained until 1878; then went to Vulcan, Mich., for one and a half years; then to Iron Mountain.

Vivian CHELLEW, butcher, was born in Cornwall, England March 24, 1854, and came to the United States in May, 1871, and located at Copper Falls, Lake Superior; in the mines for a short time; then went to Calumet, and entered the green grocery business; then to Osceola, in the butcher business; later, he came to Iron Mountain, where he associated himself with Mr. H. G. FISK in the butcher business. He was married to Miss Mary A. MOYLE, of Calumet, in May, 1880.

Oliver EVANS, railroad and express agent, was born in Berlin, Wis., January 30, 1857. At the age of seventeen, he engaged in the mercantile business with D. J. CALL, of Grand Rapids, Wis. Six months later, he attended school in Beaver Dam, Wis., one season. When at the age of nineteen, he taught one term of school in Badger, Wis. Immediately after, he commenced the study of telegraphy in Plover, Wis., and in the spring of 1878 took charge of the telegraph office in Steven's Point, Wis., for the Wisconsin Central Railroad Company, where he remained for one year, then he went to Menasha, Wis., for one year. From there to Milwaukee, where he worked in train dispatcher's office, also acted as extra agent. In July, 1880, he went to Little Suamico, taking charge of station for Chicago & North Western Railway. One year later, he was removed to his present position in Iron Mountain. He was married to Miss Olive FISHER, of Menasha, Wis, September 21, 1881.

John FREDERICK, druggist, was born in 1850 in Europe. He came to the United States infancy, and located at Detroit until 1863, when he went to Marquette, where he remained until 1878. In meantime, he was contracting at Ishpeming and other points for furnaces; went to Quinnesec in January, 1878, prospecting two seasons, and in meantime discovered the Great Chapin Iron Mine. In summer of 1879 made many other discoveries, and was out with State geologist two seasons. Is a member of Odd Fellows and Masonic orders; was married to Miss Delia HORRIGAN, of Quinnesec.

A. A. HAMMOND, attorney at law and general business, was born in De Pere, Wis., June 14, 1857; engaged in school and printing to the age of nineteen, when he began the study of law; was admitted to the bar in Green Bay Circuit Court May 7, 1880, and was elected Justice of the Peace in 1881; came to Iron Mountain July 26, 1881. Is Health Officer of the town of Iron Mountain.

Edward J. INGRAM, Assistant Postmaster, was born in Linden, Wis., September 27, 1861; at the age of eighteen, took position of Assistant Postmaster at Quinnesec, Mich., and, in October 1881, came to Iron Mountain, and took full charge of a drug store for J., SCHALLER & Co. In February, 1882, the firm absolved, and he went with Mr. Fredericks in same town and in same business, where he took charge of his store until April 17, when he took his present position with Mr. PARENT in Iron Mountain Post Office.

H. KAMRATH, merchant tailor, was born in Europe in 1860, and came to the United States in 1880. He stayed at Appleton, Wis., for six months; then went to Sturgeon Bay, Wis, then to Quinnesec, Mich.; then to Iron Mountain, in his present business.

W. S. LAING, of Laing Bros., butchers, was born in Scotland in 1844; came to the United States in 1870, and located at Fond du Lac, Wis., as clerk in the grocery business for ten years, came to Iron Mountain in 1880, and began his present business. Is a member of Temple of Honor, also Ancient Order of United Workmen.

J. C. MANNING, boarding-house and hotel, was born in New York State in 1828. He began business at the age of sixteen in a saw mill, where he remained twenty years. He came to Grand Rapids in 1870, where he lived ten years. After the Peshtigo fire, he went to Marinette for twelve years, and came to Iron Mountain in 1880, and opened his present business.

Edward OKEEFE was born in Canada, September 18, 1847. At the age of twenty-seven, he began farming, which he followed

pg. 500

until the of 1880 when he rented out his farm, and sold out in August following. He came to Iron Mountain, Mich., May, 1882, where he has since been engaged in exploring. Was married to Miss Mary MCDONALD, of Province of Quebec, in February, 1874.

Charles E. PARENT, general merchandise, was born July 6, 1845, in Canada Went to Portland, Me., at the age of seventeen, and began lumbering; went to Menominee, Mich., in 1867, and there started in the mercantile world, where he remained until 1879, when he came to Iron Mountain in same line of business. Has a store in Menominee; was Justice of the Peace at Menominee eight years. Is a Postmaster at Iron Mountain; was School Director twelve years in Menominee; is a member of the Odd Fellows

Ruel 0. PHILBROOK, general merchandise, was born in Freeport, Me., January 30, 1848. Received a Liberal education, and at the age of twenty years, began teaching school, in which he continued for three years. Then he went into mercantile business in Maine eighteen months, and then went to Peshtigo, Wis., in general merchandise. Established a branch house at Iron Mountain in 1879, it being the first store built in Iron Mountain. He got a post office established at Iron Mountain, and was the first Postmaster, which position he held for two years. He was one of those who suffered largely by the Peshtigo fire, losing both store and dwelling, with their contents, his family escaping with only their lives.

Charles M. ROGERS was born in the East Indies in 1853. Came to the United States in 1873; located in Green Bay for a short time, then taught school three months, was next in Menominee; then in Peshtigo; then in Cranberry Marsh three seasons, then worked on a farm in Canada three years, then came to Marinette; then to Quinnesec, and came to Iron Mountain September 1, 1882.

J. RUNDLE, of the firm of RUNDLE & Brother, was born in Ontonagon County, Mich., in 1862. At the age of thirteen, he went to clerk for Thomas MEACH, Marquette, four years; then to Republic as machinist for one year. In 1880, he came to Iron Mountain, and entered the machine shop for the Menominee Mining Company; worked there for one year, and then started in business for himself, in connection with his brother Thomas RUNDLE, in hardware, stoves and lumber.

Thomas RUNDLE, of the firm of RUNDLE Bros., hardware merchants, was born in England October 13, 1857; came to the United States in infancy. At the age of seventeen, he began teaching school at Marquette, where he remained for two years, and then went to Republic five years as time-keeper; then to Iron Mountain with Menominee Mining Company in 1880 for one year, and then went into business for himself in hardware, iron and stoves, and also keeps constantly on hand a full supply of all kinds of lumber for building purpose. He was married to Miss Jennie M. WARNER of Muskegon, Mich., in 1882.

Thomas B. RUNDLE, captain Chapin Iron Mine, was born in Cornwall, Eng., January 10, 1836; began mining at the age of nine years, and came to the United States in 1856; located In Ontonagon County, engaged in mining, and remained years; then went to Marquette County, and remained twelve years in mining; then came to Iron Mountain, Mich., in 1880, when he took charge of the Chapin Mine; has had charge of Victoria, Fremont and other copper mines in Ontonagon County, Mich. Is Director of Schools of Iron Mountain. Is a Freemason and an Odd Fellow.

Carter J. SAWYER, attorney, was born in Dodge County, Wis., October 27, 1856; was engaged at school till the age of twenty-two, at which age he began the study of law; was admitted to the bar in Dodge County in March, 1881; taught school one season; came to Iron Mountain in August, 1882, to manage branch office for Sawyer & Wait, of Menominee, Mich.

George F. SEIBERT, druggist, was born December 21, 1853, in Marshalltown, La.; went to Chicago in 1867, and to Marquette in 1869; then to Chicago with BUCK & RAYNER in the drug business; in 1882, came to Iron Mountain, and engaged in the drug business with SCHALLER & Co., taking a half interest in the business.

RICHARD L. SELDEN, farmer on Iron River, was born in Connecticut October 24, 1824; was engaged in farming and going to school till the age of sixteen, at which time he went to sea in a London packet until twenty-five years of age; then left the sea and went to California by way of Cape Horn; engaged in mining one year, and then returned to Connecticut, and was elected to the Legislature in 1856. In 1857, came West, and was engaged in civil engineering on the Erie & Pittsburgh Railroad for three years, took vacation of eighteen months; then to Northern Peninsula, on survey and construction of Peninsular Railroad, until 1865; then took charge of Harvey Branch Railroad for a short time; was engaged in various occupations up to 1872, when he returned to Connecticut, and was engaged on the Connecticut Valley Railroad as engineer two years, then went to Rhode Island one year, then to the Upper Peninsula on the Menominee River Railroad two years. In 1871, he began exploring in the northern part of Wisconsin and Michigan in the iron interest; has continued in the iron interest to date, and has, in the meantime, discovered some of the greatest deposits ever found; took homestead in 1878, and has been more or less engaged in farming. Was married to Miss Sarah M. LOPER, of Higganum, Conn., in 1852.

Dr. William J. SPENCER was born in 1857; began the study of dentistry at the age of twenty; has taken two courses at Ann Arbor, Mich., and began practice in 1880. He came to Iron Mountain in 1881, and located permanently.

JERRY SULLIVAN, Liquor dealer, was born in New Bedford, Mass., in 1868. At the age of eleven, began work in the stamp works at Hancock, Mich.; spent several years in Manitoba and Dakota, and returned to Hancock for a short time, then went to Florence, Mich., and to Woodstock, Ill., and then to Iron Mountain, and engaged in his present business. In the meantime, he went to New Orleans in 1869-70; did considerable trading with the Indians in Manitoba and Dakota. Was married to Miss Delia SULLIVAN of Marquette, in 1868.

Thomas H. WILLIAMS, liquor dealer, was born September 10, 1859; worked in different mines in various localities for several years, and came to the Range in 1879, and opened his present business in July, 1881.

Previous  |  Next ]     [ Up  |  First  |  Last ]     (Article 86 of 110)